ABOUT US

Located in the historic Pike Place Market, Isadora’s has specialized in exquisite antique jewelry for 38 years. Our discriminating collection includes pieces from the early 1800’s through the 1950’s, without a reproduction to be found. Our precious pieces are sent to North American Gem Lab for independent appraisals. We invite you to call our toll free number for applicable discounts. On many of our pieces, we are able to offer between 10-25% off of appraisal value.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April & The Allure of Antique Diamonds


Every time my friend’s son, Camden, walks into our store, he asks me if I know what his birthstone is, and I tease him and say no, and then he happily declares his birthstone is the DIAMOND.

And no wonder he is ecstatic with his birthstone.  Diamonds are amazing.  They are one of the hardest materials in the world, but more than that, they are fantastically beautiful-each filled with its own unique character.

This character is one of the things I talk about frequently with my clients, because often people become so overwhelmed with the facts and “shoulds” about a stone--They should get a diamond worth three months salary for an engagement ring.  They should get a stone graded highly according to the GIA—They forget each diamond is its own, individual, unique, organic thing.

A diamond’s unique qualities come both from the stone’s own individual characteristics as well as the diamond cutter’s art.

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. --Micheangelo

And with antique stones you truly see the character of the stone and the stone cutter as cutting the stone in years past, was less about a prescribed formula for brightness, but about one individual looking at a stone and seeing his way to bringing out the stones individual beauty.  Old stone cutters were such artists, which is why I think I find myself drawn to stones from the late 19th century/ early 20th century.  Stone cutters had mastered faceting but still really had a hand in determining how they wanted to interpret those concepts.

Because for me, a stones beauty comes from its individual sparkle, its color and its character. --MIKO

1 comment:

Camellia Collection said...

Well said Miko! The photograph you have with your post is a wonderful reflection on your thoughts!

Post a Comment